Editorial Assistant Vacancy
Expected salary: £23,000 p.a.
Full-time, in Southwark, London
Are you looking for an editorial role with an innovative and ambitious company? Do you want to work with some of the world’s best commercial storytellers and shape their books into market leaders?
Canelo is a fast-growing independent digital publisher based in London. We are forward-thinking and ambitious, confident and hungry, never afraid to try new things and challenge publishing industry norms. We enjoy working in undervalued areas of publishing and rejuvenating them for new audiences.
This role will work closely with the Publishing Director to help edit and process key frontlist titles across a diverse range of authors, and will also work on reissues of action thriller and horror novels. The successful candidate will specialise in areas including military and crypto-thrillers, working with proofreaders and cover designers to create pitch-perfect packages for the contemporary market. They will work on copy and metadata for frontlist and backlist books, and contribute towards other key areas including contract admin, picture research, submissions reading and author care.
- Evaluating book proposals and commenting on manuscripts
- Handling manuscripts through copy edits and proofreads, liaising with authors throughout
- Drafting cover briefs and working with designers and the team in-house to deliver industry-leading jackets
- Writing and editing copy, metadata and supplementary marketing and sales materials
- Assisting the Publishing Director with author/agent agreements, overseeing an archive of our contracted titles
- Liaising with authors and agents about acquisitions, editorial points, sales and marketing information and general updates
- Helping identify promising reissue targets with a focus on action thrillers and horror, guiding these books through the editorial process
- Contribute to the general submissions reading and to improving editorial processes
We are open about your background and experience, although you will ideally have some experience of editorial work, an eye for commercial fiction and can demonstrate both diligence and efficiency. But if you have a good eye for detail, an appetite to learn and a proactive can-do attitude, we want to hear from you.
Please apply with a covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications: 31st August 2018.