Editorial Director, Canelo Crime (Parental Leave Cover, 9-12 months)
Salary: £41,000-45,000 p.a., depending on experience
Location: Flexible, with occasional days required in our London office
Start date: ASAP
Canelo is looking for a dynamic and experienced commissioning editor to run our Canelo Crime imprint over a period of parental leave.
Canelo is a flourishing independent publisher with a focus on genre and mass-market storytelling. Although we began as a digital publisher, in recent years we have also become one of the most exciting and acclaimed new paperback publishers in the UK. We were shortlisted for Independent Publisher of the Year at The British Book Awards in 2021 and 2022 and launched a hardback list this year. Canelo Crime is our dedicated crime imprint which publishes market-leading names like Rachel Lynch, M J Lee, Marion Todd and Stephanie Sowden, among many others.
We are open about experience and background, but this job would suit someone with a passion for crime fiction and strong experience working in editorial. Awareness of what successful series publishing looks like is particularly desirable.
Responsibilities will include:
- Managing a busy editing and publication schedule meeting ambitious targets
- Offering excellent author care to our stable of writers
- Commissioning a select number of books for the list with a clear genre focus and great bestseller potentia
- Steering the Canelo Crime imprint working closely with colleagues to maximize opportunities for the imprint and its authors
- Overseeing manuscripts through desk edit processes such as copy edits and proofread
- Drafting cover briefs and working with designers and the team in-house to deliver industry-leading jackets
- Writing and editing copy, producing timely metadata and supplementary marketing and sales materials
- Liaising with authors and agents about acquisitions, editorial points, sales and marketing information and general updates
- Potentially line-managing some members of the wider editorial tea
- Ensuring an exciting publishing strategy that attracts high-quality, commercially-attractive writers to the list is adhered to and further developed.
Please apply with a covering letter and/or CV to email@example.com